Alchemist Slime Game Week 1

This week, I started work in-engine on my personal project, Alchemist Slime Game. I am developing this project in Unreal Engine 5. It's been a few years since I’ve worked in Unreal and since I’ve done much game development so it was a bit slow going.


I chose Unreal 5 for two main reasons: I would like to work in the games industry again and most studios either use Unreal or a proprietary engine that is similar, and Unreal is much better for creating level blockouts with its own geometry.


I started with a blank project, and I was able to complete all of the tasks I planned for this first milestone:

  • Initial designs for the Alchemist’s Laboratory (built in-engine to test player movement)

  • Basic player movement as a liquid

  • Changing player state to a solid and back to a liquid by pressing a button

There’s already a lot that I want to improve in addition to my next milestone tasks. This includes:

  • Getting the player to feel more like a slime (still defining this but I want the player to feel heavier)

  • Tweak the camera angle and distance

  • Continue to design and improve the laboratory (including making a level map in Photoshop)

Thanks for following the development of my project. If you would like to test it, join my discord community!

VectorBWLogo2 copy.png
Claire Yeash

Game Designer and UX Researcher